Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Shamless promotion


Shameless promotion of my blog by begging people to visit my site and dangling a prize before them like a carrot!! Hey I admit it! But there is a difference between Shameless promoting your blog and bragging. BRAGGING !! O my gosh, if my Mother were alive I would get a lecture! You know when we were kids my mom never told us we were pretty, too smart, to fast, to anything, lest it go to our heads and turn us into obnoxious people. We were never to boast lest we embarrass our parents and get stern disapproving looks and THEN a lecture on how we should not boast, brag or say anything about how good we were at anything. If you were any of those things other people would naturally notice, you were not to call attention to it yourself!

I didn't have a lot to brag about when I was younger. I was NOT pretty. I had reddish brown hair and freckles, chubby cheeks and blue eyes. I was not a brilliant child either, nor was I a good athlete. I was just an average little girl. I grew up to hate it when attention was called to myself by anything I did particularly well, I was shy and quiet. But! Inside there was a character, a funny person , a smart alleck waiting to get out, and there were moments it escaped and ran rampant!

In the 3rd grade I broke out my teeth in the front, one tooth I broke in half straight across. The other front tooth was broken at an angle like a triangle. I could make faces like a beaver and did every chance I got. The dentist also put these big silver temporary caps on them until the white porcelin caps were ready. Wow! Little Kids think things like that are neat. I milked it for all it was worth.
The end of 3rd grade approached and so did the talent show. It was the era of leather mini skirts and knee boots. I had them both. My mother made sure of it. Inside she was a Diva too. I told my mother I wanted to be in the Talent show and she was sure I would chicken out or worse bomb. I don't know who was sicker at their stomach that day me or my mom. I chose to sing a song. A very IN song at the time. Not a child's song. The song was........wait for it, wait for it......"THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKING" Can you believe!? My Mom helped me learn it and practice on it. My Mother told my Father it was his fault,because he listened to country stations while working on cars in the garage and I spent all the time I could with him out there.
I was told later that my teachers were astounded by my wanting to sing. We did not know about channeling in those days, but surely they would have thought this was the case if they had. I learned how to strut across that stage for all my 8 year old self was worth and sing to everybody that these boots I had on were made for walking and that's just what they would do,..... I remember nothing of it from the actual day....I was terrified. I won the talent for my grade. If I had known how to faint I probably would have done that too, but I didn't even know what that was.
There were other things later on in life that would fall just short of bragging or boasting,,,never that! But I will always remember that Talent show in the 3rd grad me with my freckles , chubby cheeks and those awful silver caps singing for all I was worth, in my leather mini dress, and white leather boots. Yep those boots were made for walking and that's just what they did, all over that stage. My Mother was proud of me, and neither one of us threw up. It was a good day.
So I am not bragging nor boasting but I am shamelessly promoting my blog and trying to get people to notice me and what I am doing here. And in that vein I am offering something that I painted. I will put all the names in a hat that come and leave a comment on my blog between yesterday and this weekend and draw out a name. So if you like to get stuff in the mail besides bills , leave me a comment! BTW, this item that I painted (above at the beginning of the post) is not the best in the world, but it's decent, lest anyone think I am boastful or bragging.........Mother would be proud of me.

9 comments:

  1. i loved your story!! and im sure momma would be proud as how you make everyone smile and want to put on their own boots!!! Pammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im always proud of you & LOVE you too!
    terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. T/J Im always proud of you & LOVE you too!
    t.p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya!!
    I so enjoy all your posts and your blog...
    You so rock and make me smile every time I hear from you!!
    Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.. I love your blog. I love your colors, music, and stories.. I am sure you bring msiles to eveyones face as you do mine...
    Hugs

    Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work speaks for itself. Your stories, however, need to be told. You are a wonderful storyteller.Your stories spread joy and a smiles. Your mother would be proud. I am happy to call you my friend..XOXO..KIM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog, and you do a great job of story telling!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your stories, your blog is entertaining!! visit often. Thanks for sharing your talents with us as a giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girlie...don't worry...we are all shameless when it comes to "bribing"!....it is something we do with the spouse, the kids & why now why not with your close blogging buds?!...thanks for the bribe!

    ReplyDelete